I'm not about to blow you away with an out of this world recipe... but i am going to share with you the most simple, and deliciously light recipe of vanilla buns with lemon icing. They are quick to bake, and so much fun to decorate! I didn't get time to bake over Easter but saved these eggs specially!
I am also a secret fan of mixing the prettiest shades of icing... ( the fun part as I am unable to eat starch- no worries it's been years, and can eat almond substitutes = macaroons & meringues.
Makes 18! ( to make fewer adjust quantities)
110g sifted self raising flour
1 heaped teaspoon baking powder
110g soft margarine
110g caster sugar
2 large eggs
3-4 drops good vanilla essence
To finish- lots of icing (made entirely with squeezed lemon juice) food colouring, crispy shelled eggs or dolly mixtures.
1.Take a large mixing bowl, sift baking powder and flour from a height to give a good airing ( helps make buns extra light!)
2. Simply add ALL other ingredients and whisk ( electric works best) for approx 6 minutes- until pale and airy.
3. spoon into bun cases- i made exactly 18 from this recipe standard size.
4. Bake for approx 9-10 mins at 160 degrees C in a PRE-HEATED FAN assisted oven.
( Gas mark 3, or 170 degrees c in a non fan oven)
5. Test buns with sharp knife- should be clean- no mixture then leave to cool.
6. The fun part- mix icing sugar entirely with freshly squeezed lemon juice, add 1 drop of red/pink dye decorate, keep adding 1 drop of red or blue to get a large variety of pinky blue subtle shades!!- add sweets- enjoy.